Pages

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Decorating a Cash Box


This cash box above doesn't look very pretty does it? I think the only thing I find attractive about it is the money inside. Well recently I picked up one of these old boring cash boxes at a thrift store for $3.00. I wish I would have taken a before picture, because the thing was not only boring to look at but mine seemed like it was uglier than the average cash box. 


After a few moments of thought the solution came to me, I decided I was going to spay paint a stencil pattern on it. I've never spray painted anything in my life and thought it would be easy enough. I didn't sand the box down before hand, which wasn't a terrible mistake, but would have made things a lot easier had I done so. Patches of gray kept creeping through and every time the paint dried I had to do touch up after touch up, I'm pretty sure this box has about five coats of paint on it. 


While going through the whole spray painting process I had pretty much thought that I had ruined the box, and couldn't wait for it to dry so I could assess the damage. However, after all was said and done, it just so happens that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's not prefect, but I think it's pretty funky. I might just do this again if I ever come across another boring gray cash box. 


No comments:

Post a Comment