Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Today's Great Deal: Thrift Store Finds

I love thrift store shopping, it's fun searching for treasures and finding things you haven't seen since childhood. The only thing I don't like about thrift stores is how incredibly expensive some places like Goodwill and Value Village have become, looks like both these stores have become a giant corporate affair. 





Early today my family and I went out to have our children participate in a university study. I love going to these things, the university is about a 30-40 minute drive away but the kids get a free book and we all get to spend part of the day in an area where we don't usually head out to too often. We made it a plan to check out all the thrift stores, or at least as much of them as we could while we were out. Somehow... and I know this is my fault, (I may have not written down the exact address) we couldn't find the address to the first thrift store, but it was no big deal and instead of really searching it out we got out of the car and went for breakfast. After breakfast we spent sometime walking around looking at some shops, there were some really great boutique stores, but no thrift stores to be found. We had given up on our plan and after enjoying the morning we headed off to another thrift store, only this time I actually knew the location of it. We must have only been driving for three minutes when you wouldn't believe it, a whole row of thrift and consignment stores. Ack! Well they had to wait, we had passed them at high speed and we had other things to do with our day, yes we had to make our way over to that other thrift store.





Heading over to the thrift store I had in mind was the best decision, it's a good thing we didn't stop off at those other stores we drove by (although maybe if I had gone in I wouldn't be saying this now...). This thrift store was having a renovation sale and everything was 30-75% off. It was the last day of the sale so everything was really picked over and the store was quite busy. Still, I managed to pick up ten children's books, a pair of jeans and a funky shirt for myself, the shirt reminds me of something a farm girl might wear and I think it will look cute with those jeans I picked up. I wasn't really keeping count of the price of these things, I was thinking everything would be about $10, but no it was less. I paid $3.50 for everything, I think this is the best deal I've ever gotten on second hand items and as we left the store I told my husband I felt like I just robbed the place. Ha, these kind of prices for second hand items should be the norm, not the exception. 

No comments:

Post a Comment