Pages

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Decorating Light Switch/ Electrical Outlet Coverings

The standard light switch and electrical plate covers that come with every rental suite are always a boring and drab beige. I've been wanting to liven up our bedroom for a while, but didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on doing so. This idea came to me from Pinspire, it's easy to do and I'm very happy with the results, little touches sometimes make the biggest impact. 


I chose a lovely damask purple, that goes well with our solid purple bedding.


For this project you will need:
- Light switch / electrical plates
- Scissors
- Box cutter
- Acid free adhesive
- A sponge brush
- Mod Podge
- Scrapbook paper


- Take your electrical cover place it on the scrapbook paper, trace the area and cut it out. It's OK it you've cut more than you need, you can cut any excess off later.
- Use the sponge brush and paint the acid free glue onto the electrical cover as well as the paper. Place the paper over the cover and gently smooth out with your fingers. Now let it dry.
- Once everything is set cut any excess paper and cover decorated plate with mod podge, add as any coats as you want, I recommend 4-6. Let dry.
- Now that the mod podge is dried, take your box cutter and cut out all the holes.
- There you have it, some beautiful covers to replace those boring ones!


2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool idea!! A person could really coordinate a room!!

    I like your blog. I have really enjoyed my visit!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and welcome to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete